I have had a lot of people come up to me and ask about weight loss advice, people who crash diet for a week and obsess over the number on the scale.
Please do not!!
First of all look at yourself and ask why you want to lose weight. A checklist:
- Did you see a skinny model or an actor you want to look like?
- Are people around you saying you are fat?
- Do you think you look ugly?
If you answered yes to any of the above, think again. You are beautiful and the problem is that media and society is used to just one type of body and if you do not see your body represented in the media or represented in a negative way that does not mean you are ugly.
The right reasons to lose weight are:
- Be fitter and healthier
- Achieve a fitness goal
- Feel good about yourself.
I would recommend looking up Lena Dunham’s comments on her weight loss. They have been so inspirational.
Now for the good part. My Tips and tricks to permanently lose the weight.
I went from 220 pounds to 110 to 120 pounds and cannot be healthier and stronger.
So here goes:
- Portion Control: Find out the correct portion size for you. For example, the palm of your hand is the amount of carbs, your fist would be your proteins, your thumb would be fats.
- Do not hate carbs: Carbs or carbohydrates are everywhere. Fruits and vegetables also have carbs which gives you energy. You need energy to go through the day!! Be mindful of the types of carbs you eat. A piece of cake is carbs but it has frosting and sugar and oil and fats!! Go for options such as whole wheat bread or pita bread.
- Exercise: Find a type of exercise you like and sweat!!! Get your heart beat up and exercise for at least 20-30 mins every day. After a while you will start enjoying your workouts and find ways to do more stuff and stay active.
- Consistency: You will have many false starts, start the next monday and all but do not give up!! Keep trying till you reach a point where you workout 3-4 days a week.
- Dairy: Some people like me have an issue with dairy as it causes bloating and the there are some moral issues as well. So I shun dairy. Mostly dairy is for the cow’s calf and not for humans. So think twice before drinking a whole glass of milk. It has fats and hormones are injected into it and so much adulteration that really does you a lot of harm.
- Home cooked: Prefer home cooked meals to takeaways. Prepare your foods even if it takes time, dedicate a day to food prep and you will notice a change. But if you make pizzas every day or a grilled cheese, you know you are eating mostly fats.
- Balanced meal: A balanced meals has all food groups, proteins, carbs and fats. Do that for all meals you eat.
- Eat your veggies: Eat at least 5 portions of fresh fruits and veggies. Actively look for seasonal fruits and fill up.
- Mindful Snacking: Do not grab a packet of crisps when you are famished. Look for healthy snacks like carrot sticks, humus, whole nuts and any kind of fruits.
- Water: Drink loads of water. Add lemon or cucumbers for some flavour but do aim for a healthy amount of water. Sometimes when you are thirsty, you feel hungry and tend to eat more. Drink water!
Losing weight is not about the number on the scale. It is about a healthier and happier you.