1.the action or practice of humiliating someone by making mocking or critical comments about their body shape or size.“she is not the only celebrity to speak up about body shaming”
1.expressing mockery or criticism about a person’s body shape or size.“the singer has been dealing not only with heartache but with nasty body-shaming comments”
The society has conditioned us in such a way that for most of us, body shaming is a natural and normal way of life. So much so that, we don’t realise when we cause it and unintentially perpetuate it.
So, here is a handy list to strike off to see if you are a body shamer.
- Called someone fat?
- Called someone skinny?
- Said this particular type of clothing doesn’t look good on them?
- Commented on thick thighs?
- Commented on skinny arms or any part of their anatomy?
- Complimented them on losing weight?
- Complimented them on gaining weight?
- Asked if they are a on a diet?
- Asked if they are sure they want the last pizza slice?
- Given free advice on healthy eating?
- Said if they only lost/gained the weight they would look so much better?
- Said you look amazing for a fat/skinny person?
- Said the person they will fall in love with will love them for their personality and not their looks?
- Discussed someone’s body and looks with friends?
A person’s look and body and what they wear is a completely personal choice and till the time the said person does not ask for your opinion, giving it results in body shaming and if you ever do that, however well meaning you might be, you only add to the problem.