Nutrition is a very important part of any fitness regime.
As goes the famous saying, “Abs are built in the Kitchen”
The Kickstart Nutrition plan is not a drastic plan but aims to give you an idea of whole foods and good quality foods that will keep your body energised and functioning at its optimum strength.
Major food groups that you should include in all your meals:
- Carbohydrates: They give you energy!!! Choose complex carbs like whole wheat bread and pasta, brown rice, fruits, pita bread, seeded bread over any variety of white bread. Simple carbs do not give as much nutrition and make you feel hungry faster.
- Protein: Proteins are the building blocks of muscles. They will NOT bulk you up but will give you strong lean muscles that will give your body a hard chiselled look. Choose lean proteins such as fish, eggs, chicken (breast over thigh, skinless over skin), turkey, pork and lean cuts of beef. For vegetarians, choose whole lentils and beans such as kidney beans, black eyed peas, soy, peas etc.
- Fats: Fats are important for the body but in a very limited quantity. Choose animals fats such as ghee over refined vegetable oils or go for virgin, cold pressed oils. Natural sources of fats include coconut, mango, banana, olives and avocado. Toast o Avocado anyone?
- Fibre: Fibre is the one thing that always seems to lose. It is tough to get in your five a day but when you make pasta and add some veggies or some vegetable pulp to your meat loaf, it becomes easy. Choose a fruits or carrot sticks as snacks over crisps and you will intake more fibre. It helps in digestion, keeps you full and gives all necessary vitamins.
This is most basic building block of any diet plan and when you stick to whole natural foods, you will find things get easier.
Sample Meal Plan:
- Breakfast: 2 egg whites, toast, oatmeal/granola, salmon, some fruit.
- Snack: Almonds or a handful of any kind of unsalted nuts.
- Lunch: Pasta, sandwich, curry, choose variety with less cheese and cream and always get some salad or vegetables on the side.
- Snack: Humous and vegetables or nuts or fruits.
- Dinner: Lentil soup, whole wheat bread and curry, rice and curry, whole wheat pasta with lots of vegetables, grilled meats and vegetables.